We’re back on CNBC Make It and thrilled to continue sharing Dr. Gladys’ six secrets. This time, they dive into the 5 L’s for living a long, fulfilling life. Dr. Gladys McGarey is a 102-year-old doctor with a wide range of wisdom and knowledge to share. We are so grateful.
CNBC Make It author Renée Onque digs into Dr. Gladys’ wise words from her new book, The Well-Lived Life: A 102-Year-Old Doctor’s Six Secrets to Health and Happiness At Any Age. Along with her daily routine of movement and active rest, Dr. Gladys discusses the meaning behind the phrase “living medicine”. This encompasses 5 L’s, she says:
- Life itself: “As you pay attention to life itself, life is like a seed. It has a shell around it. It has all the energy of the universe within it,” says McGarey. But life can’t change for the better without being activated by us first.
- Love: “Love is the activating factor. It cracks the shell,” she says. “It’s the whole aspect of life as we come into it and take our first breath.” Love feeds into the remaining aspects of what makes life meaningful.
- Laughter: “Laughter without love is cruel. It’s mean [and] cold,” McGarey says. “But laughter with love is joy and happiness.”
- Labor: “Labor without love is drudgery. ‘I gotta go to work’ or ‘They’re too many diapers,’” she says. “Labor with love is bliss. It’s why a singer sings, why a painter paints, why I became a doctor. It’s what juices you up. It’s what makes you really know: ‘This is who the inner core of me is.’” Pay attention to what drives you, she adds.
- Listening: “Listening without love is empty sound,” says McGarey. “But listening with love is understanding.” When you’re able to find people who understand you and what your purpose is, life becomes more fulfilling and you can go on to do the same for others.
To live a long and fulfilled life, you must consider many things, these L’s among them. Wellness and longevity are work, in essence. It doesn’t come easy and requires daily practice. Check out the article to learn more.
If you’re interested in more secrets to a long, happy and healthy life, be sure to pick up a copy of The Well-Lived Life: A 102-year-old Doctor’s Six Secrets to Health and Happiness At Any Age today. Stay tuned to the latest news by signing up for our newsletter or following along on Instagram.